Project 1999, in case you haven't seen

Started by girth, May 25, 2010, 01:09:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic
May 25, 2010, 01:09:18 pm Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 01:15:10 pm by girth
I was never tagged in BoW, but I knew quite a lot of its members being on Torv for so long raiding with NoF but being in US hours.

I shared this with NoF a few months ago but didn't get much interest it seemed, so I thought maybe I'd show this here in case some of you guys have not seen this.

It's called Project 1999, and its an EQ emu 'classic' server, the best out there by a long shot - but its not perfect, so realize that before you go there thinking you'll have to stare at your spell book to med till level 35 - they are not allowed to make changes to the client, or it becomes illegal.  It hinders them a little bit, but they have some geniuses working for them on work-arounds and fixes.  A handful of volunteers have worked for over a year to get this server where it is now, and they plan to release Kunark and Velious as well. We have recently hit about 700+ during prime time hours and its only getting bigger.  Check out this picture of EC tunnel after they removed global ooc/auction - which they did because our population can now support it.

If this even remotely looks interesting to you, try it out, I highly doubt you would be disappointed.  The nostalgia on this server is incredible, and the community is really coming into its own.

project1999.org - follow the setup guide on the left

ps - the frogs are not real frogloks as that is not classic, GM must have done that

Hey dude.  Long time!

I ran an emulated server for a while.  This is basically the same codebase as EQEmu, or at least that was my understanding.  There have been a lot of good emulated servers over the last couple years, and I hope this one does well.

I don't have time to even start EQ to patch it most days anymore, but I may stop by now and again. :)

Z

Hey Zophim, funny I actually was just bragging about knowing you on there the other day.  Some people were talking about BOTB and I was like yeah I knew the rogue winner.

Anyways, yeah they use the base EQEmu code but they have this rocket scientist or something(i'm not kidding, hes like a rocket scientist or nuclear physicist I can't remember) doing source code fixes.  He really has made a bunch of improvements that most EQEmus have not.

I'm not a big emulator fan for games like this unless it is very polished.  Once again its not perfect but its close enough, way closer than anything SOE even could come out with at this point.

Reading that name, you are right.  I smoke too much.  I knew I knew him though.

Yea girth i keep trying to get them to come over!

You know, my client won't load now. I can get to character select, but crash back to the login screen repeatedly now.

What do?

I dunno , try re-installing and making sure you have all the right files from the p99 webpage? 
Pain in the ass i know but surefire way to make sure you got everything right